First time eating jackfruit…I’m allergic =\ (Taken with Instagram)
So many Asian ladies getting our “rau” and fennel…I’m proud to say that I didn’t try and hangle prices. OH and don’t think that everything at a farmer’s market is organic…look for a sign or when in doubt, ask straight-up! Sometimes growers take advantage of the fact that many ppl assume that “Farmer’s markets only carry organic produce,” and hike up their prices.
Happy Birthday to my mom! She’s ridiculously pretty and ages/doesn’t age extremely well. She’s been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits since she was a little girl in Vietnam and thanks that for her good skin. She eats vegetarian 5 days a week. Looking like her when I’m middle aged is one of my reasons for eating as much produce as I can! (she eats a lot…way more than my dad and finishes all our leftovers)
Her Diet (She’s so chill about what she eats and enjoys cooking and eating with family!)
- She’s obsessed with grapefruit! She was so frustrated after having stomach ulcers which prevented her from eating highly acidic fruits. (I’ve never seen her so angry…)
- Oatmeal for breakfast (if anything). She doesn’t eat breakfast. It’s a habit she developed in Vietnam when she would save the breakfast money my grandma gave her everyday to buy clothes and accessories instead.
- Lunch: She packs her own lunch most days of steamed vegetables, tofu, rice, and crushed peanuts.
- Snacks: Almonds, walnuts, some dried fruits but she hates the ones that are too sweet
- Dinner: Largest meal of the day. Starts with a salad, and mostly vegetables and protein. I think she eats like a cup of white rice with dinner.
- She doesn’t really like sweet desserts, chocolate, or anything really. We eat homemade candied ginger sometimes. After dinner, she drinks green tea.
Weird Food Facts
- I find dried bananas in random places in my home because my mom seeks out the sunniest places to dry them.
- We have an aloe tree.
- We make soup broth with fish heads.
- We eat “Jazzman” Rice made in the USA instead of Asian jasmine white rice as a way to bolster the US economy lol.
- My mom makes the best Pho hands-down.
I love you Mom!!! Best cook and role model in the world!