Hey! I've been running for about 3-4 years now but suspended my routine for the past 6-7 months because I also do dragonboat and have work (my work=walk/jog/run up and down stairs for 3.5-4 hours). Despite all of this, I continue to gain weight. In the past 6 months, I've gained 15 pounds. Help? I now weigh 145... (And sorry I'm anon, but I WILL read this if you answer.)
Everyone know what Dragonboating is? It looks intense!
- How many days are you dragonboating and/or working a day? If you’re only currently active only a couple days, you may be working out less than you were when you were running consistently.
- Are you going long hours between meals? It’s easier to overeat when you go 5+ hours between meals and fill up on the most accessible foods. Try splitting your meals in half and eating them 2-3 hours apart.
- How are you stress levels? Do you have a lot to do during that day that you just want to go home and vegg-out?
- Are you going out to eat more with your team and have more social events?
- A couple pounds is most likely muscle too! Since you’re building arm strength from rowing and quad/calf/hamstring muscles from running up and down stairs. These muscles don’t get worked as intensely during moderate running.
Weight seems to creep up on us when we change our lifestyle, and but necessarily in a bad direction (i.e. if we move places, new schedule, new job or school). Meals may be harder to eat at regular intervals, time to exercise is never that convenient…but being able to adapt is what makes us stronger. By paying more attention to your diet, you can lose these 15 lbs in HALF the time it took you to gain it.
Well this is what came to mind; hope it helps!